Subject: 28.2; describe-function shows wrong arguments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:25:15 +0200

Hi,

I have noticed that describe-function sometimes shows wrong arguments.
Example:

(describe-function 'call-process-shell-command)

shows

(call-process-shell-command COMMAND &optional INFILE BUFFER DISPLAY)

but the function is defined as follows:

(defun call-process-shell-command (command &optional infile buffer display
					   &rest args)

Cheers,

Tomas

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
System Description: NixOS 22.11 (Raccoon)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=no --with-xft
 --with-cairo --with-native-compilation --without-toolkit-scroll-bars'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE
XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  eev-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-pdf/junk
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-framebuffer/junk
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/ivy-20220926.1250/elpa hides /nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/lispy-20221114.2013/elpa
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/transient-20221118.1443/transient hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/nadvice-0.3/nadvice hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/nadvice

Features:
(shadow emacsbug jka-compr misearch multi-isearch macrostep-c cmacexp
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree
mm-archive rect mailalias sendmail feedmail qp sort mail-extr gnutls
network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth mule-util
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-compat parse-time ls-lisp term/xterm xterm elm-mode
elm-interactive elm-font-lock elm-indent-simple elm-indent elm-imenu
elm-format reformatter elm-tags elm-util pulse color let-alist f
f-shortdoc shortdoc bmenu watch term2 shell2 vc-git vc-dispatcher
emacs-btap ffap emacs-unoffice view org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func emacs-pdf printing ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr emacs-framebuffer eev-beginner eev-load
eev-rcirc eev-videolinks eev-audiovideo eev-wconfig eev-rstdoc
eev-helpful eev-kla eev-testblocks eev-edit eev-pdflike eejump eev-brxxx
eev-code eev-hlinks eev-tlinks eev-wrap eev-env eev-elinks eev-plinks
eev-blinks eev-template0 eev-anchors eev-codings eepitch disp-table
eev-mode eev-eval eev-multiwindow eev-flash eev-intro dumb-jump popup s
email-eww cltl clhs notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj goto-addr icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag notmuch-lib
notmuch-compat pcase hl-line mm-view mml-smime smime dig eww-lnum eww
xdg url-queue shr kinsoku svg xml dom mm-url gnus nnheader wid-edit
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient
comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode magit-git magit-base
magit-section format-spec crm dash compat-27 compat-26 compat
compat-macs diff-mode paredit slime-asdf grep slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-fuzzy slime-c-p-c
slime-autodoc slime-editing-commands slime-repl slime-parse slime
compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref project
arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline pp comint ansi-color ring
hyperspec thingatpt picolisp tsm easy-mmode edmacro kmacro
slime-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 7636108 781998)
 (symbols 48 36402 15)
 (strings 32 608067 70988)
 (string-bytes 1 31315435)
 (vectors 16 73421)
 (vector-slots 8 1977235 355884)
 (floats 8 654 769)
 (intervals 56 1485889 43056)
 (buffers 992 31))