Subject: bug#64328: closed (Re: bug#64328: 28.2; describe-function shows wrong arguments)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64328: 28.2; describe-function shows wrong arguments

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64328: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64328
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64328: 28.2; describe-function shows wrong arguments
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Tomas Hlavaty <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 21:32:05 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Tomas Hlavaty <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:45:21 +0200
> 
> On Wed 28 Jun 2023 at 19:34, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > That's on purpose: we want the function to be called as
> > describe-function says, not as the source code says.  This is called
> > "advertised calling convention".
> 
> interesting
> 
> > This is not a bug.
> 
> sorry for the noise

No sweat.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 28.2; describe-function shows wrong arguments
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:25:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I have noticed that describe-function sometimes shows wrong arguments.
Example:

(describe-function 'call-process-shell-command)

shows

(call-process-shell-command COMMAND &optional INFILE BUFFER DISPLAY)

but the function is defined as follows:

(defun call-process-shell-command (command &optional infile buffer display
					   &rest args)

Cheers,

Tomas

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
System Description: NixOS 22.11 (Raccoon)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=no --with-xft
 --with-cairo --with-native-compilation --without-toolkit-scroll-bars'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE
XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  eev-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-pdf/junk
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-framebuffer/junk
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/ivy-20220926.1250/elpa hides /nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/lispy-20221114.2013/elpa
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/transient-20221118.1443/transient hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/nix/store/aimwkbak11abj52c69dn0vn24dc7l6f4-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/nadvice-0.3/nadvice hides /nix/store/6wsl2kxw9vdhx79lvaprpil33vrvhgwp-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/nadvice

Features:
(shadow emacsbug jka-compr misearch multi-isearch macrostep-c cmacexp
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree
mm-archive rect mailalias sendmail feedmail qp sort mail-extr gnutls
network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth mule-util
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-compat parse-time ls-lisp term/xterm xterm elm-mode
elm-interactive elm-font-lock elm-indent-simple elm-indent elm-imenu
elm-format reformatter elm-tags elm-util pulse color let-alist f
f-shortdoc shortdoc bmenu watch term2 shell2 vc-git vc-dispatcher
emacs-btap ffap emacs-unoffice view org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func emacs-pdf printing ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr emacs-framebuffer eev-beginner eev-load
eev-rcirc eev-videolinks eev-audiovideo eev-wconfig eev-rstdoc
eev-helpful eev-kla eev-testblocks eev-edit eev-pdflike eejump eev-brxxx
eev-code eev-hlinks eev-tlinks eev-wrap eev-env eev-elinks eev-plinks
eev-blinks eev-template0 eev-anchors eev-codings eepitch disp-table
eev-mode eev-eval eev-multiwindow eev-flash eev-intro dumb-jump popup s
email-eww cltl clhs notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj goto-addr icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag notmuch-lib
notmuch-compat pcase hl-line mm-view mml-smime smime dig eww-lnum eww
xdg url-queue shr kinsoku svg xml dom mm-url gnus nnheader wid-edit
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient
comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode magit-git magit-base
magit-section format-spec crm dash compat-27 compat-26 compat
compat-macs diff-mode paredit slime-asdf grep slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-fuzzy slime-c-p-c
slime-autodoc slime-editing-commands slime-repl slime-parse slime
compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref project
arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline pp comint ansi-color ring
hyperspec thingatpt picolisp tsm easy-mmode edmacro kmacro
slime-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 7636108 781998)
 (symbols 48 36402 15)
 (strings 32 608067 70988)
 (string-bytes 1 31315435)
 (vectors 16 73421)
 (vector-slots 8 1977235 355884)
 (floats 8 654 769)
 (intervals 56 1485889 43056)
 (buffers 992 31))