Subject: bug#6432: 24.0.50; comint-write/read-input-ring ignore certain buffer locals

From: Andreas Politz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:46:10 +0200

Both functions ignore certain buffer-local values of comint variables
due to working partially in temporary buffers.

I think for most of them buffer-local values (therefor process-local)
would make sense.  For example we might want to use multiline commands
with one process, using a special comint-input-ring-separator, but
compatible newline-seperated commands for a different one.

-ap

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-06-13 on raven
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  narrow-stack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  easy-repeat-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-hacks-mode: t
  window-numbering-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-y C-a ( s e t q SPC M-h d e f v a r SPC C-o C-/ M-h 
s e t q SPC C-e C-n M-m C-o C-p C-n C-n C-/ C-p C-k 
C-n C-x b c o C-g M-2 C-u C-SPC C-M-a C-M-a C-M-l M-1 
C-o TAB C-y C-p C-e SPC " \ n - - - \ n " ) C-n C-k 
C-x b <return> C-x h C-0 C-w C-x C-s C-x b <return> 
C-M-SPC C-g C-p M-f - l o c a l M-m C-M-SPC M-w C-x 
C-g M-3 C-x b s c <return> M-: C-y <return> M-: ( c 
o m i n t - r <backspace> w r M-p <return> M-1 C-x 
b <return> C-x b C-s <return> C-, b r C-v M-2 M-3 C-x 
ESC ESC C-r s e p e C-g C-g C-x ESC ESC C-r d e s <return> 
<return> M-2 C-M-e C-n C-u C-M-x M-1 M-2 M-3 M-: M-p 
<return> C-s s e p e RET C-M-b b g C-M-a C-M-a C-M-l 
C-M-f M-1 C-, s s <return> ( d e f a d v i c e SPC 
c o m i n t - w r i t e - i n p u M-/ SPC ( M-2 M-v 
C-l M-1 M-x s h e l C-g C-, s b M-p M-n M-: c o m M-h 
C-r i n p u t - r i n g - f i <return> <return> C-x 
k <return> C-g C-g q M-1 C-x k <return> M-1 M-2 C-M-x 
g M-1 M-2 g q C-x k <return> C-g C-x k <return> <return> 
M-2 q C-/ C-M-x C-M-a C-M-q M-1 M-2 M-v C-l M-1 M-x 
b u g r e p o M-h e m a c s - b u <return>

Recent messages:
Break
Result: "\n"
Go...
Break
Result: "\n"
Back to top level.
Quit
Undo!
comint-write-input-ring
Mark set [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/politza/.emacs.d/minor-modes/ido hides /home/politza/src/emacs23/lisp/ido

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite fix-umlaut emacsbug debug tabify dirtrack
ansi-color bash-mode reposition apropos info descr-text cl-specs edebug
newcomment thingatpt vc-git find-func help-mode view autorevert ffap
multi-isearch cmuscheme scheme w3m-form mule-util w3m-cookie
w3m-bookmark w3m-tabmenu w3m-session w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode
w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc
w3m-util vc-dispatcher vc-svn bookmark pp parse-time nnfolder nnmbox
utf-7 utf7 netrc starttls nnimap imap nndraft nnmh bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf
mail-extr bbdb-com warnings nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-win disp-table
minibuffer-regexp derived pascal narrow-stack org org-footnote org-src
org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline
ispell closure byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile gnus-int gnus-range
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr avoid server easy-repeat
repeat eldoc linux tex-site auto-loads ibuf-macs ibuf-ext ibuffer
dired-x dired-aux dired dired-details tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw
tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source
gnus-util shell password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver
time-date recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu generic ido-hacks
hippie-exp my-anything anything edmacro kmacro kbd-helper org-install
bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone persistent-scratch-buffer window-numbering
easy-mmode cl cl-19 uniquify winner which-func imenu paren ido icomplete
grep compile comint regexp-opt ring hi-lock time cus-start cus-load
saveplace savehist advice help-fns advice-preload tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)