Subject: Re: bug#64311: [PATCH] Fix shell-dirtrack-mode showing up as enabled in unrelated buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 18:52:24 +0300

> From: Vladimir Sedach <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:09:22 -0600
> 
> This changed in commit 3c059f269e0182bd19df37871585e0b0bf1d47e5
> Redo `C-h m' output
> Wed Apr 13 03:50:06 2022 +0200
> 
> This only hides the problem, which is: the default value of
> shell-dirtrack-mode being t.

Why is that a problem.  I understand when it causes irrelevant minor
mode to be shown by "C-h m", but why should anyone care that some
global variable is non-nil?

In any case, I don't think a fix (if we need one) should be so
complicated.  Why do we need all those changes, including making the
variable obsolete and moving the mode from its place in shell.el to
another place there?  If all you want is to make this variable
buffer-local, just making it buffer-local is all that's needed, right?

But first, let's talk about the problem: why is shell-dirtrack-mode
being t a problem?