Subject: 30.0.50; Android build: use Activities as a way to interact with emacsclient?

From: Ant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 16:21:52 +0000

The EmacsActivity.java and EmacsOpenActivity.java files show that it is
possible to pass argument by means of Android Activities. Furthermore,
EmacsOpenActivity (the file that handles Emacs selection in "Open
With..." dialogs) does use emacsclient (or its equivalent
libemacsclient.so) in order to reuse the same Emacs instance and frame.

It is possible to manually invoke Android Activities (with custom 
parameters) by means of the
command "am" in
the adb shell, the command "am" in the Termux shell or also by means of
some Androids applications like ActivityManager
(https://github.com/sdex/ActivityManager) that also allows to make
shortcuts out of them.

It could be an idea to "generalize" EmacsOpenActivity and to have an
activity that allows to insert custom parameters that would be fed to
libemacsclient. EmacsActivity.java already does something similar, by
means of the extra argument "org.gnus.emacs.STARTUP_ARGUMENT".

One use case would be, trivially, to have a shortcut for
org-capture or some other org-protocol.

I'm not an Android guru myself and so I don't know whether this is a good
idea or not, security-wise. Also, I don't know if this is just an hack
that won't last too long anyway.

I'd like to know your opinions in this regard. Thank you in advance!