Subject: bug#64302: Guix derivation cannot be computed during pull

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 16:09:13 +0200

Hello,

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> skribis:

> here is what happens on a server I do not manage to update for about a year now:
>
> $ guix pull
> Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
> Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to 1bc878d (1,055 new commits)...
> Building from this channel:
>   guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git	1bc878d
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> building /gnu/store/a2zzynwqii5j84gg9zn2brkh0hiqrh6n-module-import.drv...
> building /gnu/store/s8bj7c9nd85ng871h4440w7jw6p0hxpq-module-import.drv...
> building /gnu/store/3m2pndmnxj91s80ad1kvjw7kjsgpf733-module-import-compiled.drv...
> building /gnu/store/fg3r0s0r1sbljjdvgsnjkkziskn3fagp-module-import-compiled.drv...
> building /gnu/store/a2lgmyr95d3nr0snp31662rygf5g7cz7-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
> Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... /guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program '/gnu/store/wvni7k3g4wnf0k782zgfv4gya9bnw8gg-compute-guix-derivation'
> failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version: "1bc878ded2ea349384da6a72d4b8326c63c794b4"; system: "x86_64-linux";
> host version: "35b176daf1a466f136f0b77c03de78f482a30702"; pull-version: 1).
> Please report the COMPLETE output above by email to <[email-masked]>.

Weird.  I tried the same time travel and it went well:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix time-machine --commit=35b176daf1a466f136f0b77c03de78f482a30702 -- time-machine -- describe
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
[…]
building /gnu/store/pa38h9kqq05s77k0vq62amc99sv3xm2g-config.scm.drv...
building /gnu/store/ywbkw3m7dbk5g071v746p2q23v0x9ib0-git.scm.drv...
building /gnu/store/k4kidxvjp5bghrjk8n9y1n4k52lwrcmh-hash.scm.drv...
building /gnu/store/a2zzynwqii5j84gg9zn2brkh0hiqrh6n-module-import.drv...
building /gnu/store/s8bj7c9nd85ng871h4440w7jw6p0hxpq-module-import.drv...
building /gnu/store/3m2pndmnxj91s80ad1kvjw7kjsgpf733-module-import-compiled.drv...
building /gnu/store/fg3r0s0r1sbljjdvgsnjkkziskn3fagp-module-import-compiled.drv...
building /gnu/store/4kg185vfqw5c33kr5d35gzqyn6i1pjn7-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... /
substitute: updating substitutes from 'http://192.168.1.48:8123'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://guix.bordeaux.inria.fr'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
  /gnu/store/cgi7c05l797glr7siqwv02b83q7wyw9w-profile.drv
  /gnu/store/3pvbhrpp7vab9fm1x3pjwx4w6g5wx5w0-guix-849f31d57.drv
  /gnu/store/3mjlbc8g0lhv933yzdbsk813vv87pbf2-guix-daemon.drv
  /gnu/store/4bxlkz3nmvx7hgrfk6p1y9pvvkb23xw6-guix-command.drv
  /gnu/store/9n6mkg3xnlxx3i7gycf8azmwksh6vixl-guix-module-union.drv
  /gnu/store/p4jg8ci223h5wrqc5iy2ncl77vq3lsk5-guix-849f31d57-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/r8x4lb04j0w8ysvz83kxhcxdj1gzf66p-guix-config-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/41y56mzckgfwki39b0x7d32dzi59j9gj-guix-config.drv
  /gnu/store/k394a79aq2v11yj6f88z5r6cq1b4f2zh-guix-config-source.drv
  /gnu/store/9ns9frgaxy21nmhml1ixmbkymbl36xx4-config.scm.drv
  /gnu/store/al2fpclasimp7wsgph2v51my9ckn9far-inferior-script.scm.drv
  /gnu/store/k0581jd5ss6207p2q99mn2yhsh2y0czj-profile.drv
[…]
building /gnu/store/3pvbhrpp7vab9fm1x3pjwx4w6g5wx5w0-guix-849f31d57.drv...
building CA certificate bundle...
listing Emacs sub-directories...
building fonts directory...
building directory of Info manuals...
building profile with 1 package...
building /gnu/store/al2fpclasimp7wsgph2v51my9ckn9far-inferior-script.scm.drv...
building package cache...
building profile with 1 package...
  guix 849f31d
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 849f31d5746f5633f9f2a768b76739afc257ae99
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Is it reproducible for you?  Could it be a transient failure?

Annoying there aren’t more details in the output.

Thanks,
Ludo’.