Subject: bug#64300: 28.2; Can no longer input some tokens.

From: Christian Brolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 10:17:22 +0200

Hi, sorry for late reply.

I'm currently using:
GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, 
cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2023-03-16, modified by Debian

I don't know how to find out my previous version, but since I accept 
updates regularly, I guess it was the latest Debian build before Jun 26.

The problem still persist, but now I found out, only when I start Emacs 
from the main menu, not when I start it from a terminal, so maybe some 
problem with the environment. I tried to add LANG=C.UTF-8 to the menu 
entry which helped! So this is no longer an issue for me. But I still 
get the gray Pop-up somewhere on the screen when I press a modifier, 
e.g. ~ until I press the second key. I don't remember to have seen this 
before, is this a new feature? And if so, maybe it is related to this 
issue. But the important thing is that I now can use Emacs again.

Thanks for your efforts.

On 2023-07-06 09:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Ping!  Christian, can you please answer Po Lu's questions?  I'd like
> to continue investigating this issue, and in particular establish
> whether this issue is present in the upcoming Emacs 29.
>
>> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Christian Brolin <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 17:41:24 +0800
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>> Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 09:30:31 +0200
>>>> From: Christian Brolin <[email-masked]>
>>>>
>>>> I'm using a Swedish keyboard and running emacs in Kubuntu 23.04. From
>>>> today, I can no longer input, e.g. ~ or ^ by typing AltGr-X or Shift-X
>>>> where X is the key left to the Enter key, containing those symbols as
>>>> well as a horizontal colon.
>>>>
>>>> When this was working, I pressed the X key in combination with a letter or
>>>> most often space. Now I just get a small pop-up with a gray background
>>>> containing the symbolunderlined. I don't know what to do with this
>>>> pop-up. It I press space or any other key it just disappear and nothing
>>>> goes into my buffer. I tried to click on it with the mouse but it
>>>> doesn't react. Also, if I first click on of the AltGr-X or Shift-X and
>>>> then the other the pop-up expands to show both symbols and then I can
>>>> add more of them even without alternate. Don't know how this is useful.
>>>>
>>>> Btw, the ~ and ^ in this report I got by entering them in the terminal
>>>> can copied them from there.
>>> Can someone please look into this?  I don't have access to GNU/Linux
>>> systems localized that way.
>> Thanks.  Christian, are you encountering this problem in Emacs 28.2, or
>> in the Emacs 29 pretests?
>>
>> And finally, what was the last version of Emacs in which you remember
>> this working?
>>