Subject: 29.0.91; js-mode's mark-defun does not work correctly when functions have a comment on top

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 15:05:45 +0200

This is a regression from Emacs 28.2.

emacs -Q
C-x b sample.js RET
M-x js-mode
Paste the following code:

function foo() {
  var value = 1;
}

/* Hello */
function bar() {
  var value = 1;
}

Place the point inside function bar.
C-M-h

Expected result:

Function bar is marked.

Actual result:

Comment "/* Hello */" is marked.

This is probably related to the following regression:

When point is between function foo and function bar, C-M-e moves point
to the _beginning_ of bar, not to the end of bar.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 8, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6 (Build 21G115)) of 2023-06-07 built on
 Daniels-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: bcc222251e1a750a11e365f2faa641cc56c1169d
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6.7

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -fsanitize=address'
 CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/homebrew/opt/openjdk@11/include'

Configured features:
ACL GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  comint-fontify-input-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  undelete-frame-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug ido cc-langs whitespace python pcase reposition edebug
gnus-msg sort find-dired kmacro cus-start cus-load info-look info
apropos display-line-numbers re-builder dabbrev pp mail-extr goto-addr
view smerge-mode diff log-view pcvs-util org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview
ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat
org-macs make-mode ffap grep pcmpl-gnu pcmpl-unix novice etags fileloop
generator pulse xref project shortdoc cl-extra proced noutline outline
icons add-log rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok yank-media
mhtml-mode css-mode eww xdg url-queue thingatpt shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg xml browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
url-vars mailcap puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range
wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr color sgml-mode facemenu dom vc
bug-reference octave misearch multi-isearch js c-ts-common json map
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util format-spec imenu doc-view filenotify
jka-compr image-mode exif vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher
sh-script rx smie treesit cl-seq executable files-x shell pcomplete
compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring dired-aux
dired dired-loaddefs time-date subr-x help-fns radix-tree cl-print
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile debug backtrace help-mode find-func
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 939191 235686)
 (symbols 48 45772 49)
 (strings 32 194496 17389)
 (string-bytes 1 6108451)
 (vectors 16 74154)
 (vector-slots 8 2095032 169146)
 (floats 8 489 580)
 (intervals 56 136872 727)
 (buffers 976 123))