Subject: Re: [External] : bug#64281: [Feature Request] Recognize “#” syntax

From: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 10:21:25 +0000

To: Drew

> drew> Node `Read Syntax for Circular Objects' says nothing about any
> drew> possible danger (security/safety problem) circular objects can
> drew> introduce.

I guess that “.dir-locals.el” _isn’t_ read by ELisp syntax, so if you
visit a “.dir-locals.el” file, Emacs will choose “Lisp-Data mode” for
it.  And (info "(elisp)Circular Objects") _is_ about Elisp read
syntax.

> stefan> To: Eli
> stefan> If you want to do better, you can use an actual ELisp file.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems like it is indeed not now, though uses a “.el” postfix.

____________________

To: ALL

> drew> Wouldn't it make sense (be useful) to let users and code
> drew> decide whether to allow this for particular file-local
> drew> variables?

Agree.

There have already been numerous potential dangerous behaviors,
perhaps one more won’t make much of a difference.  I think as long as
users are provided with appropriate warnings, it should suffice.   For
instance, the following code snippet can cause Emacs to crash
instantly, but we still shouldn’t deprive users of their right to
execute it:

    (clear-string (symbol-name t))

Luckily, manual contains a corresponding warning.

--
shynur