Subject: bug#64278: closed (Re: bug#64278: 29.0.92; tramp-rclone.el seems to be in a defunct state)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 13:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64278: 29.0.92; tramp-rclone.el seems to be in a defunct state

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64278: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64278
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64278: 29.0.92; tramp-rclone.el seems to be in a defunct state
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Sebastian Miele <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 15:55:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.1

Sebastian Miele <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Sebastian,

> With both, the fix on the emacs-29 branch, and after applying the patch,
> everything works for me.

Thanks for the feedback. I've pushed the other patch to the emacs-29
branch, closing the bug.

The fix will also appear with Tramp 2.6.1, scheduled later this week on
GNU ELPA. Just in case you don't want to wait for the Emacs 29.1 release.

> The problem the patch addresses is not relevant at least for Rclone
> remotes of type local.  I didn't try Google Drive.  However, the patch
> also is necessary for Rclone remotes of type webdav.  I have

Yes, so I've added an rclone/webdav test to my test suite.

> Best wishes
> Sebastian

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.0.92; tramp-rclone.el seems to be in a defunct state
From: Sebastian Miele <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 05:16:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am using the Tramp built into the most recent emacs-29 from the Emacs
repository.  Steps to reproduce the first problem:

Augment ~/.config/rclone/rclone.conf with:

  [memory]
  type = memory

Run:

  rm -rf ~/.emacs ~/.emacs.d && src/emacs -Q -l $DEBUG

The content of $DEBUG probably is not essential to this bug.  It
contains:

  (setq native-comp-jit-compilation nil)
  (setq load-prefer-newer t)
  (setq tramp-verbose 10)

Then write

  (find "/rclone:memory:/")

into the *scratch* buffer and evaluate it using C-x C-e.

After a while, a backtrace for an error "Lisp nesting exceeds
‘max-lisp-eval-depth’" appears.  Attached to this mail are the contents
of the backtrace buffer, and the contents of the *debug tramp/cache nil*
and *debug tramp/rclone memory* buffers.

I tried to debug the issue for myself for a while.  The first issue I
encountered, is that ‘tramp-rclone’ contains a call to
‘tramp-call-process’ with a DESTINATION of 0.  ‘tramp-call-process’
contains

  (tramp-get-buffer-string destination)

which in that case yields an error.  I tried changing "destination" in
that line into:

  (unless (eq destination 0) destination)

But then other problems occur.

Output of rclone --version:

  rclone v1.62.2
  - os/version: arch (64 bit)
  - os/kernel: 6.3.9-arch1-1 (x86_64)
  - os/type: linux
  - os/arch: amd64
  - go/version: go1.20.4
  - go/linking: dynamic
  - go/tags: none

In GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-06-25 built on huette
Repository revision: d0147ff9e507cc4e99e0574eab106f95c8e9df1f
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-native-compilation=yes
 --with-tree-sitter --with-json --with-mailutils --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra debug help-fns
radix-tree cl-print backtrace help-mode find-func tramp-cache noutline
outline icons time-stamp tramp-rclone tramp-fuse tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs cl-loaddefs cl-lib
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 236774 13267)
 (symbols 48 10472 0)
 (strings 32 29017 1828)
 (string-bytes 1 931634)
 (vectors 16 22627)
 (vector-slots 8 718681 79929)
 (floats 8 42 131)
 (intervals 56 23110 0)
 (buffers 984 15))