Subject: Re: bug#64270: 30.0.50; Font update for no toolkit menu

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:50:38 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> >> For my usage, I imagine that yes the menu font would change when I
>>> >> change the frame's default face.  But this because my menu face is
>>> >> already derived from the default face.
>>> >> 
>>> >> For the general usage, my idea (and what I start doing in my patch, see
>>> >> my first message) is to query the MENU_FACE_ID.  So the font into the
>>> >> menus would change if the user modify its menu face.
>>> >
>>> > This is a misunderstanding: I didn't ask what would be the trigger to
>>> > change the font.  I asked how would Emacs know _which_ font to choose
>>> > for the menus?
>>> 
>>> I also am not sure I understand.  I don't think that Emacs has to choose
>>> a font here.  It would use the font used for the menu face.  What am I
>>> missing?
>
> It's unlikely that the font used for the menu face can actually be used
> by the XMenu library, since Emacs is in no way limited to utilizing core
> X fonts.

That is interesting.  This means that a face used in a frame might not
exists in a form that is loadable by XLoadQueryFont, right?  So I think
it is real shortcoming of what I wanted to do.

> I seriously suggest not touching the oldXMenu library and working on
> something else.

Yes, I know.  Everytime I'm trying to do something on oldXMenu this idea
keep resurfacing.  But it is quite a task and oldXMenu is already here
and not that bad.  Do you think that child frames could be a starting
point for menus?
-- 
Manuel Giraud