Subject: bug#64270: 30.0.50; Font update for no toolkit menu

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 20:16:14 +0300

> Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 19:00:04 +0200
> From:  Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> I'd like to be able to update the menu font (for the no toolkit build)
> at runtime.  For this, my idea was to pass the font (from say the menu
> face) to the XMenuCreate call in x_menu_show.

Doesn' paneFont X resource already allow that?

> I thought that the font's XLFD string would be a good candidate to pass
> this information since it should be understood by XLoadQueryFont.  But
> unfortunately, the XLFD returned by font_unparse_xlfd are not.
> 
> For instance, XLoadQueryFont can understand
> "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-22-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" but not
> "-misc-fixed-regular-r-normal-*-22-*-*-*-*-*-*-*".  Do you think I need
> a function to « normalize » the XLFD returned by font_unparse_xlfd?  Or
> maybe I'm missing something?
> 
> FTR, here is a patch of what I have started:

Did you try a font name instead?