Subject: Re: bug#64270: 30.0.50; Font update for no toolkit menu

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:02:27 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I imagined something like that.  So maybe I need a new function.  For
>> example `x_normalize_xlfd'?
>
> Perhaps you should instead consider the reason you need to use XLFDs to
> specify fonts.  It is highly unlikely for fonts loaded by FreeType-based
> font backends to also exist on the X server, and thus be accessible from
> the X core protocol in the first place.

I know.  I guess that XLFD representation is legacy at this point… but
so is oldXMenu.

> TRT is probably to write a new menu library that uses Emacs's own font
> backends for displaying text.

Yes I know that too.  But the Emacs' display system is quite hard to
grok and I imagine that those menu will end up being child frames (but
maybe that is the way to go).
-- 
Manuel Giraud