Subject: Re: bug#64252: 29.0.91; pixel-scroll-precision-mode scrolling jumps with large images

From: Rahguzar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:04:10 +0200

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I said that pixel-scroll-precision-mode can vscroll a window when
> there's an image in the window, something you claimed there you cannot
> make Emacs do.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in that message to which you responded.

>> As far as I can tell in Emacs partial scrolling
>> works well if there is either 1) a line that is completely visible in
>> the window or 2) a line that is bigger than the window. However when
>> both of the these conditions are not satisfied it is only possible to
>> scroll in line sized jumps.
>
> Why is that a problem?  You describe some behavior in some specific
> situation, but don't say why it's a problem we need to investigate,
> let alone fix.

It is certainly a pretty minor problem. The reason it would be nice is
to be able to partially scroll such images is to view documents like
pdfs. The biggest part of the problem can already be solved by the tools
Emacs already has, since it is possible to reliably scroll pages larger
than a window. For small pages, scrolling one page at a time is not so
bad but more mine grained scrolling would be nice.