Subject: bug#64226: closed (Re: bug#64226: 30.0.50; emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load permission error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 16:30:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64226: 30.0.50; emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load permission error

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64226: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64226
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64226: 30.0.50; emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load permission error
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 19:29:34 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 11:24:03 -0400
> 
> 
> Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Okay I pushed b93107c20b2 to fix this.  I tested as best as I 
> > could but
> > tweaking these dynamic variables is always tricky.
> >
> > No Wayman if you could verify everything works for you would be 
> > great.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >   Andrea
> 
> Still present on:
> 
> GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
> 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-08-09

That's expected, since the fix was installed on the emacs-29 branch,
and will be merged to master only in a couple of days.

Thanks for testing (and thanks to Andrea for fixing it), I'm therefore
closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load permission error
From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:58:40 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce:

1. Find an elisp file located in $DIR which user has permission to 
write to.
(in the following backtrace, the file being compiled was located 
at $HOME/.emacs.d/elpaca/builds/elpaca/elpaca.el)
2. M-x emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load 
3. Observer the following error: 

Error: permission-denied (\"Creating file with prefix\" 
\"Permission denied\" 
\"/usr/lib/emacs/30.0.50/native-lisp/30.0.50-58a66af6/elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5\")
  mapbacktrace(#f(compiled-function (evald func args flags) 
  #<bytecode 0x835cf36bbae8692>))
  debug-early-backtrace()
  debug-early(error (permission-denied \"Creating file with 
  prefix\" \"Permission denied\" 
  \"/usr/lib/emacs/30.0.50/native-lisp/30.0.50-58a66af6/elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5\"))
  make-temp-file(\"/usr/lib/emacs/30.0.50/native-lisp/30.0.50-58a66af6/elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5\" 
  nil \".eln.tmp\" nil)
  comp--compile-ctxt-to-file(\"/usr/lib/emacs/30.0.50/native-lisp/30.0.50-58a66af6/elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5.eln\")
  comp-compile-ctxt-to-file(\"/usr/lib/emacs/30.0.50/native-lisp/30.0.50-58a66af6/elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5.eln\")
  comp-final1()
  load-with-code-conversion(\"/tmp/emacs-int-comp-elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5-73Dpd0.el\" 
  \"/tmp/emacs-int-comp-elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5-73Dpd0.el\" nil 
  t)
  command-line-1((\"-l\" 
  \"/tmp/emacs-int-comp-elpaca-0646d6fc-1256ece5-73Dpd0.el\"))
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

I would expect compiling this to not signal an error for a file I 
have permission to write.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-06-19 built on laptop
Repository revision: edb0862f5e69240de90c30b8914af51778f26d31
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

I rebuilt from master and am still able to reproduce with
GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-06-21