Subject: bug#64226: 30.0.50; emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load permission error

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 08:59:32 +0300

> From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 15:14:16 -0400
> 
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > perhaps you could describe how to reproduce starting from "emacs
> > -Q" (and loading any packages or features you need for the minimal
> > reproduction recipe).  The way you were showing the problem until
> > now obviously depends on your local setup, which is impossible to
> > reproduce without knowing the details.
> 
> The instructions I gave here:
> 
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-06/msg01224.html
> 
> reproduce the error on my end from emacs -Q with a minimal file.
> To be crystal clear:
> 
> 1. Save the following file to $HOME/test.el (or any path where the 
> user has write permissions):
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> ;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
> (defun +test () (message "PASS"))
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> 
> 2. emacs -Q $HOME/test.el
> 3. M-x emacs-lisp-native-compile-compile-and-load
> 4. Error is printed to message buffer.

Thanks.  I think Andrea couldn't reproduce this, but maybe he could
try again.  (The error will only happen if the directory
usr/lib/emacs/30.0.50/native-lisp is not writable by your user, so
ensuring it's not writable should be part of the recipe.)

Also, please show the backtrace corresponding to the above recipe.
The backtrace you posted mentions files like
/home/n/.emacs.d/elpaca/repos/elpaca/elpaca.el, but there's no
reference to $HOME/elpaca/repos in your recipe above.  So I presume
the backtrace with the above recipe will mention different files, and
it is important to see those file names.