Subject: bug#64226: 30.0.50; emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load permission error

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 18:41:33 +0300

> From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 11:28:49 -0400
> 
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Ping!  Can anyone reproduce this issue and report the details, 
> > please?
> 
> Still reproducible on my end on two machines:

Thanks, but that's a small wonder: we didn't yet do anything to fix
this, whatever it is.

I was asking others to provide details, not just reproduce.  If you
want to provide those details, perhaps you could describe how to
reproduce starting from "emacs -Q" (and loading any packages or
features you need for the minimal reproduction recipe).  The way you
were showing the problem until now obviously depends on your local
setup, which is impossible to reproduce without knowing the details.

The main aspect of this which is completely unclear is: how come Emacs
tries to write in the /usr/lib tree when compiling Lisp files from
your home directory.  This is not supposed to happen: Emacs should
write to the eln-cache subdirectory of your ~/.emacs.d/ directory.