Subject: Re: bug#64202: [PATCH] Gnus: Add back end for Atom feeds (nnatom)

From: Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 14:33:00 +0300

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii writes:

    >> >>>>> Daniel Semyonov writes:
    >> 
    >> > Attached is an updated version of the patch.
    >> 
    >> Actually attached this time.

    > Thanks.  Lars, Andrew, Eric: please install when you are satisfied
    > with this new feature.

I'll upload a new patch in (hopefully) a few days based on comments from
Stefan, so please don't install anything yet.

BTW, is there any interest in having this backend also support RSS feeds?
Most feed readers transparently support both Atom and RSS, but I was
initially reluctant to do this too since most Gnus backends are very
specific and there is already an RSS backend.  I'm also not sure what to
name a backend which supports both RSS and Atom, and can be inherited
from to support other types of "feeds".

However, I do think that adding this support would be pretty easy, and
Stefan also correctly pointed out to me that RSS has become a generic
term for web feeds, and it seems that many websites today offer Atom
feeds labeled as RSS (or using the well-known RSS icon as a link to it).

Thanks,
Daniel