Subject: bug#64202: bug#66188: 29.1; Include Atom feed reader

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:11:12 -0700

On 04/21/24 21:41 PM, Daniel Semyonov wrote:
>>>>>> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>
>     > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>     >> Ping! Ping!  Eric, any comments?
>
>     > Yes, let's do it! My only comment right now is that the manual should
>     > explicitly list the steps for creating an atom group: "B nnatom RET" and
>     > insert URL without protocol. I still have dreams of fixing the group
>     > creation code to prompt for the address, but that can wait.
>
>     > Daniel, would you make that addition?
>
> Does the following text (in the 'Atom' subsection of the Gnus manual)
> not suffice?
>
>   The ‘nnatom’ back end allows you to add HTTP or local Atom feeds as
>   Gnus servers (with a single group), as you would with any other method,
>   by supplying the location of the feed as the server address.  Note,
>   however, that the server address shouldn't be prefixed with <http://> or
>   <https://>.

I think we need to at least make it clear that you can't create these
groups with "G m", which to me anyway is the "normal" way of making a
group. It wouldn't hurt to be more explicit about the fact that feeds
are created at the server level, not the group level. I'm not suggesting
anything radical, something like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- 
The ‘nnatom’ back end allows you to add HTTP or local Atom feeds as Gnus
servers, in your Gnus init files or as foreign servers via "B" in the
*Group* buffer. The feed location is supplied as the server address, and
each server only contains a single group. Note, however, that the server
address shouldn't be prefixed with <http://> or <https://>.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Or something like that. WDYT?