Subject: bug#64202: bug#66188: 29.1; Include Atom feed reader

From: Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:10:57 +0200

>>>>> James Thomas writes:

    > This doesn't seem to work for some feeds such as:

    > en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&feed=atom
    > thehackernews.com/feeds/posts/default

    > In the first one above, is the colon character to blame?

Yes.  I'm planning to fix this (this is a Gnus limitation), but I have a
a few too many work in progress projects at the moment.
The second feed is an RSS feed.

    > Another thing: I've been using your branch also with my addition below
    > for assuming reverse-chronological as a default (Sorry! But it was
    > really bugging me! :-)).

    > <code>

    > My case for such a change:

    > - Reverse-chronological makes sense as a default because a feed link
    >   only guarantees to provide the latest updates, not an unbroken chain
    >   of all events since the beginning.

    > - nnrss.el does it that way: see the 'nreverse' in line #643.

    > - Performance impact should be minimal because nreverse is O(n) and
    >   perhaps having to sort by date afterward (rather than simply use the
    >   existing number) would more than compensate for that.

    > - Running -catchup-to-here (on a datetime-sorted Summary buffer) will
    >   only have to record a single article number range in the newsrc.

    > (My code is probably not as beautiful as many would like it to be)

Honestly, your code is much more beautiful than the code it replaces.

    > Would like to know your thoughts.

I think your arguments make sense, and you solved the issue in a way I
didn't consider (and is much simpler than what I had in mind).
I'll install this change (probably add a comment explaining the
rationale too, since I was hard to convince) when I get home.

Thanks,
Daniel