Subject: Re: bug#64202: [PATCH] Gnus: Add back end for Atom feeds (nnatom)

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 10:14:54 -0500

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Semyonov via <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> Daniel Semyonov writes:
>
>     > I think this can be merged now.  Updated patch attached.
>
> Here's another version which fixes a bunch of small mistakes and
> clarifies some information in the manual, docstrings and comments.

I am trying this, but am having no luck.

I applied the patch to Emacs master tip
(2a591b228aaa8c66c27cc5b7cb3033aa6625bc0b) and rebuilt.

I am starting from an empty home directory.  I customize
gnus-select-method to:

    (nnatom "www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom")

Then M-x gnus RET produces:

    nnatom (www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom) open error: ‘Server file
    www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom not readable or writable’.
    Continue? (y or n)

I instead configure gnus-select-method to (nnnil "") and restart Gnus.
Then in the *Group* buffer, I press 'B', then select nnatom, then paste
in:

    www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom

and I see in the minibuffer:

    Unable to contact server www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom: Server
    file www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom not readable or writable

EWW loads both of the following without issue:

    https://www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom
    www.fitzsim.org/blog/?feed=atom

Thomas