Subject: bug#64190: closed (Multiline declarations in cperl-mode are fixed in the repository.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 20:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64190: 30.0.50; cperl-mode.el: bad recognition of multiline declarations

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64190: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64190
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Multiline declarations in cperl-mode are fixed in the repository.
From: Harald Jörg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 20:20:21 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fontification of multiline signatures has been fixed in the Emacs master
branch.  cperl-mode.el as available in the repository can be used with
Emacs 28 and 27 (and could be backported to Emacs 26 if there is
interest).

-- 
Cheers,
haj

Subject: 30.0.50; cperl-mode.el: bad recognition of multiline declarations
From: Harald Jörg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:13:37 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Owner: [email-masked]

In CPerl mode, several constructs aren't recognized when they span
several lines, leading to bad fontification and indentation.  "Modern"
Perl declarations like subroutine signatures and class attributes are
more likely to span more than one line, so this should be fixed.

Example 1 (copy to a buffer and run M-x cperl-mode):
Only the first line is fontified here:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
my ($var1,
    $var2,
    $var3)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 2 (copy to a buffer and run M-x cperl-mode):
The package name isn't fontified.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
package Foo
    0.1;
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 3 (this happens only while entering that code): When you type in
a subroutine like this, the subroutine name isn't fontified.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
sub do_stuff
{
    ...;
}
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 4 (this happens only while typing):  Put the cursor at the
beginning of the second line and enter a space.  The rest of the buffer
is fontified as string.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
sub do_stuff ($param1,
$param2)
{
   ...;
}

sub oops { ...; }
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Examples 3 and 4 can be recovered from by running M-x cperl-find-pods-heres
or by restarting M-x cperl-mode: They are caused by cperl-mode not
reacting correctly to calls from jit-lock.

-- 
Cheers,
haj