Subject: bug#64185: proposal for new function: copy-line

From: Zachary Kanfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:33:15 -0400

Hrm, this is relatively similar to duplicate-line. I was running 28.2, and
duplicate-line was added since that release. Thank you for pointing those
functions out.

I do think it's more useful to put point on the second line; I almost
always find myself wanting to edit the "new" line, not the old one. Yes,
there isn't really a new vs old line, but I write the first thing I want to
see first, then want to duplicate it to make a changed second line.

I suspect that although it hasn't been in a released version yet, it's
slightly late to have a discussion about changing the behavior to leave
point on the second line instead of the first.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 7:44 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:15:51 +0300
> > From:  Eshel Yaron via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
> >  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> >
> > How does this relate to the existing `duplicate-line`?
>
> There's also copy-from-above-command.
>