Subject: bug#64174: 30.0.50; Emacs for Android: support tool-bar-position frame parameter

From: Ant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:23:36 +0000

I know that the Android native build of Emacs is still in an early
stage. I just want to address this little feature request since I
believe that allowing the tool-bar to be on bottom position would be
useful on small touch screen devices, since it would be easier for the
thumbs to reach those buttons.

Currently, if I evaluate the following expression on Emacs for Android:

(set-frame-parameter nil 'tool-bar-position 'bottom)

nothing happens.

Thank you in advance

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-unknown-linux-android29) of
2023-06-19 built on xeon
Repository revision: 405d14402f21df3404ce9c5aa3c7f942e6deb3e3
Windowing system distributor 'Sony', version 31.0.0
Android version and manufacturer: 
Sony/XQ-AS52_EEA/XQ-AS52:12/58.2.A.10.126/058002A010012603718185433:user/release-keys
Configured using:
'configure --with-png=yes --with-webp=yes --with-gif=yes
--with-json=ifavailable --with-jpeg=yes --with-xml2=yes
--with-sqlite3=yes --with-gnutls=yes --with-tiff=yes --with-selinux=yes
--with-modules=yes --with-tree-sitter=yes --with-imagemagick=no
--with-lcms2=yes --with-mailutils= --with-pop=no-by-default
--with-harfbuzz=yes --enable-check-lisp-object-type= 'CFLAGS=-O2
-Werror=implicit-function-declaration''

Configured features:
GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SQLITE3 TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
server-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils server info
evil-autoloads nano-modeline-autoloads nano-theme-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cus-start cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
android-win term/common-win ls-lisp touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
inotify android multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 321920 39837) (symbols 48 23862 3) (strings 32 81752 1824)
  (string-bytes 1 1898912) (vectors 16 63222)
  (vector-slots 8 1690339 61289) (floats 8 233 234)
  (intervals 56 1235 63) (buffers 992 16))