Subject: Re: [bug#62153] Merging guix pack changes for Docker containers packaging

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 05:40:52 +0300

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Apologies for not replying earlier.  I occasionally get reminded of the
> fact that building single-layer images is a problem, but only now did I
> take the time to look more closely at the latest version of these
> patches.
>
> Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I would like to merge 62153.  After 64173 will be merge, merging 62153
>> is not possible without conflict resolving with Git.
>>
>> 64173 introduces ‘%docker-format-options’ variable.  With this variable
>> it's possible in 62153 to replace ‘--image-type=docker-layered’ with
>> ‘--docker-layers=N’ option, where:
>>
>>     if ‘N’ is zero, then use current non layered format
>>     if ‘N’ is bigger than zero, then use layered format
>
> OK we should do that.  However, the original submitter of #64173
> apparently dropped the ball as we were approaching the final version.
>
> Would you like to adopt it and submit/push a version that incorporates
> the latest comments?
>
> Alternatively, we could do the opposite: merge the Docker layer patches
> first, and then rebase the ‘%docker-format-options’ patch, after which
> we could add the ‘--docker-layers’ option.
>
> What’s your preference?

[…]

Patches 64173 and 62153 (v5) have been sent to 62153.

If you don't mind, I have changed the option naming to '--max-layers=N'
instead of '--docker-layers=N' to align with the format of
'--entry-point-argument' (without specifying Docker as the only image
format that utilizes layers).

I did not include code to check if 'N' is zero and use the current
non-layered format. Instead, I opted for the default value of '#false'
as it was easier to implement.

Regards,
Oleg.