Subject: bug#64165: closed (Re: Re: bug#64165: ‘minibuffer-message’:naming/documentation bug)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64165: ‘minibuffer-message’: naming/documentation bug

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64165: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64165
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Re: bug#64165: ‘minibuffer-message’: naming/documentation bug
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:33:16 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:43:04 +0000
> 
> I think if the documentation directly states: “message is shown in
> echo area when the current buffer is not minibuffe” (if indeed this is
> the case), it would clarify a lot.

Done on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

Thanks.

Subject: ‘minibuffer-message’: naming/documentation bug
From: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:06:27 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Both the name and docstring of ‘minibuffer-message’ say it uses
minibuffer instead of echo area, but is this really the case?

I enabled ‘global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode’ and want to
disable ‘dispaly-fill-column-indicator-mode’ only in minibuffer, so I
add a function that will turn off that mode to ‘minibuffer-mode-hook’
but it doesn’t work.  I find that if I switch to buffer
“ *Echo Area N*” then disable ‘display-fill-column-indicator-mode’,
the fill column indicator will disappear... So I guess there's a doc
bug.  (<https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/77668>)

--
shynur