Subject: bug#64165: ‘minibuffer-message’: naming/documentation bug

From: Shynur Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:43:04 +0000

> From: Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 20:12:42 +0300
>   To: Shynur
>
> If I need to guess the issue which confused you,

The issue that's bothering me is that both the name and documentation of
‘minibuffer-message’ says that ‘minibuffer-message’ uses minibuffer,
but after adding

    (lambda ()
      (display-fill-column-indicator-mode -1))

to ‘minibuffer-mode-hook’, then executing

    (minibuffer-message "Message Line 1\nMessage Line 2")

I can still see the fill column indicator:

    Message Line 1                  │
    Message Line 2
                                    ^ fill column indicator here

> will it help saying in the doc string that 'minibuffer-message'
> works like 'message' when the current buffer is not the minibuffer?

I simply don’t know whether ‘minibuffer-message’ works like ‘message’
when the current buffer is not the minibuffer; I'm not familiar with
how ‘minibuffer’ works.

I think if the documentation directly states: “message is shown in
echo area when the current buffer is not minibuffe” (if indeed this is
the case), it would clarify a lot.