Subject: bug#64164: closed (Re: bug#64164: 29.0.92; buffer-file-coding-system changes unexpectedly after saving)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64164: 29.0.92; buffer-file-coding-system changes unexpectedly after saving

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64164: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64164
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64164: 29.0.92; buffer-file-coding-system changes unexpectedly after saving
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:03:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.2

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Miranda,

> Fortunately, there's another bug report bug#65022, which looks very
> similar to your problem. Here I could debug. Could you please check,
> whether the patch I have proposed in
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65022#8> helps you?

No further comment, so I assume it is working. Closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.0.92; buffer-file-coding-system changes unexpectedly after saving
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:57:39 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

i am trying to edit remote files on another macOS system, using Tramp's 
ssh: method. i am running `emacs -Q`.

when i open any file on this remote system, the initial value of 
`buffer-file-coding-system` is what i would expect, i.e. undecided-unix 
or utf-8-unix, depending on whether the file contains non-ASCII 
characters.

however, after saving the file, `buffer-file-coding-system` suddenly 
changes to utf-8-hfs-mac. any subsequent save then changes all the line 
endings to CR, which i have not actively used since 2001 or so... :-)

i can use `set-buffer-file-coding-system` to set utf-8-unix, but the 
problem then occurs again after the next save. other remotes (Linux 
systems) do not exhibit the issue.

Emacs 28.2 works as expected.

i am using the build from https://emacsformacosx.com/builds

best,
miranda

In GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS
  appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G22010)) of 2023-06-18 built on
  builder10-11.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.13.6

Configured using:
  'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules
  CFLAGS=-DNSTextAlignmentRight=NSRightTextAlignment --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER SQLITE3
THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: fi_FI.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 37468 8247)
  (symbols 48 5045 0)
  (strings 32 12567 2096)
  (string-bytes 1 355935)
  (vectors 16 10369)
  (vector-slots 8 155077 9845)
  (floats 8 21 23)
  (intervals 56 217 0)
  (buffers 976 10))