Subject: 29.0.92; Syntactic errors in early init when --debug-init is on

From: Sebastian Miele <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:27:09 +0200

Create a $DIR with an early-init.el containing just '(' and an init.el
with just '(error "Later")'.

Then running

  src/emacs --init-directory=$DIR

produces a warning buffer that lists both errors in order.  However,
when running

  src/emacs --init-directory=$DIR --debug-init

the debugger triggers on the error "Later", without any mention of the
error in the early init file.  This is unexpected.

It is as expected when early-init.el instead of a syntactic error
contains, e.g., just '(error "Early")'.  Then the debugger triggers on
the "Early" error.

The unexpected behavior also happens, when early-init.el does not have a
syntactic error per se, but (indirectly) loads a file that does.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-06-18 built on huette
Repository revision: a24e9e3fee59435422af0473b7ec585de2c13b4e
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-native-compilation=yes
 --with-tree-sitter --with-json --with-mailutils --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-fns radix-tree cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile debug
backtrace help-mode find-func cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 54932 8781)
 (symbols 48 6191 0)
 (strings 32 19661 2752)
 (string-bytes 1 615525)
 (vectors 16 12469)
 (vector-slots 8 255805 14317)
 (floats 8 23 27)
 (intervals 56 279 0)
 (buffers 984 12))