Subject: Re: bug#64089: 30.0.50; `ldap-search' errors out with `wrong-type-argument listp' when called WITHDN == t

From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 00:14:34 +0200

Hi Filipp,

On 2023-06-18  09:43, Jens Schmidt wrote:

> [...]  In any case, I'll open a new bug for that to continue this 
> discussion.

here is the bug I've opened as master tracking bug: bug#64160 (CCed as
well).

I'd appreciate contributing together with you, and your hint on the role 
of `ldap-ignore-attribute-codings' was really helpful, thanks.  But some 
others of the changes you have been proposing were not very helpful for 
what I have in mind.  For example:

 > 3) (unrelated, just noticed and fixed) Match data clobbering in this
 > piece:
 >
 > -            ;; Need to handle file:///D:/... as generated by OpenLDAP
 > -            ;; on DOS/Windows as local files.
 > -            (if (and (memq system-type '(windows-nt ms-dos))
 > -                     (eq (string-match "/\\(.:.*\\)$" value) 0))
 > -                (setq value (match-string 1 value)))

This piece of code handling temp files on DOS/Windows should in my 
opinion be moved into the following `(if (match-string 3) ...' clause, 
which handles temp files in general.  (In that case the 
`save-match-data' would no longer be required, BTW.)

On 2023-06-17  00:13, Filipp Gunbin wrote:

 > Please give it a try, if it's OK and others have no objections, I'll
 > install it on Monday (on master, I guess).

So could you please wait with your commit until we have something worked 
out that works for all?

Thanks!