Subject: bug#64158: closed (Re: bug#64158: --version copyright year stale, formatting)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 18:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64158: --version copyright year stale, formatting

which was filed against the libtool package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64158: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64158
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64158: --version copyright year stale, formatting
From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>, Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 21:04:21 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thank you for the bug report and suggestions!

I have updated the development branch [1] with changes including the
version output for libtool and libtoolize. I am going to close this, but
if there are any suggestions for improvement, I would be happy to update
it more.

[1] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?h=development&id=9d99f7fdfd683843cd9071af6c2c92e764b12066

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354

Subject: --version copyright year stale, formatting
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:44:16 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

libtool --version reports
  Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

That should be 2022.

Also, the ordering of the elements is wrong, and the license info is
missing (and there are spurious blank lines). According to the coding
standards, I believe it should be:

--
  libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.7
  Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  License GPLv2+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 2 or later
  <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, <https://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html>
  This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
  There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

  Originally written by Gordon Matzigkeit, 1996.
--

Perhaps mention other post-Gord major authors, too.

Somewhat related: the web page (gnu.org/s/libtool) states 2.4.6 as the
latest stable release, but afaik it's 2.4.7. --best, karl.