Subject: bug#64156: closed (Re: bug#64156: no tests/demo/ subdir mentioned in doc)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 18:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64156: no tests/demo/ subdir mentioned in doc

which was filed against the libtool package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64156: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64156
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64156: no tests/demo/ subdir mentioned in doc
From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 21:26:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thank you for the bug report!

I have updated the development branch [1] with various changes to the
documentation. There should not be any mention of the tests/demo
subdirectory anymore, so I am going to close this.

For the runnable hello,world libtool+automake example, I do not know of
any, but the test directories output from tests/demo.at looks like it
might be a good place to start for generating one.

[1] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?h=development&id=9d99f7fdfd683843cd9071af6c2c92e764b12066

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354

Subject: no tests/demo/ subdir mentioned in doc
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:44:16 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The "Makefile rules" node in libtool.texi mentions a tests/demo
subdirectory in the libtool distribution, which does not exist as far as
I can see:

    (hint: examine the @file{Makefile.in} in the @file{tests/demo}
    subdirectory of the libtool distribution@dots{} note especially that it
    was automatically generated from the @file{Makefile.am} by Automake).

(Trivial aside: I think a semicolon would be better than @dots{} here.)

There is a file tests/demo.at, and other *demo*.at tests in libtool, but
it is not exactly trivial to turn them into a normal runnable test
hierarchy. Ditto for the examples shown in the manuals.

I'm using libtool with automake.  Is there a runnable hello,world
libtool+automake example somewhere?  I couldn't find one in either the
automake or libtool repos, web pages, etc.  There are various repos
claiming to do it on github, but at first blush, they looked pretty old
(e.g., using configure.in). --thanks, Karl.