Subject: bug#64141: closed (Re: bug#64141: 27.1 newly has clunky type-break y-or-n-p)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 22:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64141: 27.1 newly has clunky type-break y-or-n-p

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64141: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64141
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64141: 27.1 newly has clunky type-break y-or-n-p
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>, Samuel Wales <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 15:04:47 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> i realize this isn't useful other than the stuff i have already
>> provided, but i find that type-break more often than not does the
>> wrong thing.  cursor in non-writable spot, or in a real buffer.  or in
>> middle of isearch.  probably various other things.
>>
>> is the idea that i would upgrade to a newer version of emacs?  i do
>> that by upgrading debian....
>
> Or you could take the old function `y-or-n-p' from 26.1
> and add it to your config for 27.1.

Having read this bug thread, it seems like there is nothing more to do
here.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

If this conclusion is incorrect and this is still an issue, please reply
to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can
reopen the bug report.

Subject: 27.1 newly has clunky type-break y-or-n-p
From: Samuel Wales <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:17:00 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

i upgraded to 27.1 and found that type-break is asking me about breaks
as follows:

when it asks in minibuffer

- point is in another window, requiring focus, changing point, and
tending to type-break
- home or page up key puts point at beg of message, where it will not
accept a reply
- it is generally more high-maintenane to get it to do a type-break or
to get it to postpone it
- it seems to arrive in the wrong place or at the wrong instant more
[this is subjective and please ignore if nonsensical]

apologies for bad bug report.  perhaps it will trigger a memory of a
code change or changelog/diff will make it obvious.

-- 
The Kafka Pandemic

A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy:
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com