Subject: Re: bug#6414: f->output_data.w32->menubar_widget uninitialized?

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 00:48:59 +0200

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 00:37, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It has been some time since I suggested this, but as far as I remember
> I looked into this because I had quite a few crashes. They seemed to
> be related to menus.

Yes, I've seen these bug reports, but they usually don't have enough
information to follow through (for what I've seen, Eli tried to get
you to add more information, with mixed results).

> Yes, correct. And I pointed to another place where I thought the
> problem was instead.

Yes, but still not saying what the problem is. You had crashes in
menus, and you filed other bug reports for them. I'm talking about
this "bug" report.

> Since you asked for a recipe I thought I had to mention this again. It
> looked to me that you overlooked this problem again.

"Overlooked [...] again"?

> Did you look at the logic as I suggested?

If the logic is flawed and there's an unitialized struct, it will
likely cause bugs and crashes. We only have a few such reports, by
you, but they are not very informative, often it is not clear whether
it happens with stock Emacs or you patched one (which includes changes
in menu functions), and I don't even know if you've had more such
crashes recently or they were a year or two ago. Lots of things have
changed in between.

> If you are sure my
> suggestion is wrong then feel free to close the bug.

If your suggestion is anything other than "all system calls should be
checked", which has already been discussed in emacs-devel, I fail to
see what it is. Care to clarify?

    Juanma