Subject: Re: bug#64138: 28.2; C-x ) won't accept the universal argument

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:50:50 +0300

> From: Al Petrofsky <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:47:47 -0400
> 
>    emacs-28.2 -Q -nw
>    C-x ( x C-u C-x )
> 
> The C-u C-x ) should complete the macro definition and then execute
> the macro three times, making the buffer contents "xxxx".  Instead,
> the error "Wrong type argument: fixnump, (4)" occurs.
> 
> (Changing "C-u" to "C-u 4" gives the expected result.)
> 
> The "P" in the interactive declaration of kmacro-end-macro should be a
> "p".

These commands always required a numeric prefix argument, and that is
how they are documented.  So just "C-u" is invalid, you should use
"C-u 4" instead.

I have no objections to extending those commands to accept just C-u,
though.  Stefan, any reasons why not?