Subject: bug#64131: make resolving symlinks in compilation-find-file optional

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 02:39:33 -0800

Qiang <[email-masked]> writes:

> Without that tiny modification, I have problem jump to the file in my
> git-annex folder, it jump to the actual database folder, what I want
> to the folder that have the symlink. I think it should be the default.
>
> People use symlinks to organize text documents, a file may have links
> in different dirs. For example, if we use dirs as catalogues, when a
> file is opened following the search result in a "rg" buffer, it would
> be convenient to jump to the catalogue by just M-x "dired". However,
> the current behavior is to jump to the dir that has the symlink
> destination file. For people using git-annex, the symlink destination
> dir could be a database dir, and it is not supposed to be accessed
> directly.

Could you provide a recipe for how to test this, for someone that
doesn't use git-annex but would be happy to install it?

Or even better, could you produce a recipe that doesn't rely on
git-annex?