Subject: bug#64124: 29.0.91; Loading ‘tramp’ unconditionally loads ‘ls-lisp’

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:19:02 +0200

Sebastian Miele <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Micheal,

Hi Sebastian,

>> Appended is the same patch, but now based on the emacs-29 branch of the
>> Emacs git repository.
>
> thank you!  That patch seems to work.  In particular: globstar patterns
> work locally with ‘dired’.  They do not work with ‘dired’ over Tramp.
> (featurep 'ls-lisp) remains nil, even after some tramping.
>
> All tried with just emacs -Q.

Thanks for the feedback. I've pushed the patch to the emacs-29 branch.

> However, another problem came to my attention (still with just emacs -Q
> from commit c8357582389 (emacs-29 branch from last thursday) + your
> patch):
>
> When I try to find a file starting with "/ssh:user@host:", Emacs starts
> using 100 % CPU and hangs.  The same with "sshx" works fine.  I did not
> try without the patch, yet.  I am currently compiling the most recent
> emacs-29 without the patch, and will send a quick note on what happens
> there.

Pls set tramp-verbose to 10, and rerun your test. There will be a Tramp
debug buffer, which tells us what happens.

Best regards, Michael.