Subject: Re: bug#64124: 29.0.91; Loading ‘tramp’unconditionally loads ‘ls-lisp’

From: Sebastian Miele <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:37:15 +0200

Hi Micheal,

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could you please check whether the appended patch fixes this for you?

the patch does not apply to my Emacs 29 checkout.  I suspect that the
patch is relative to another repository (probably a/the Tramp repository
outside of Emacs).  I tried changing "lisp/…" into "lisp/net/…".  But
even then, I get:

  error: patch failed: lisp/net/tramp-compat.el:32
  error: lisp/net/tramp-compat.el: patch does not apply

I also tried cloning git://git.savannah.gnu.org/tramp.git, and applying
the (unmodified) patch on its current master branch, but I get the same
error (only with "lisp/…" instead of "lisp/net/…").  I tried both using
‘magit-patch-apply’.

Finally, I tried with "patch -p1" on the current master branch of the
Tramp repository.  It get:

  patching file lisp/tramp-compat.el
  Hunk #1 FAILED at 32.
  1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file lisp/tramp-compat.el.rej
  patching file lisp/tramp-sh.el
  Hunk #2 succeeded at 2552 (offset -83 lines).
  patching file lisp/tramp.el
  Hunk #2 succeeded at 4403 (offset 76 lines).
  Hunk #3 succeeded at 4416 (offset 76 lines).

Looks like basically the same error, only with a different message.

(I did not look into tramp-compat.el.)