Subject: "stat -f -c '%T' ." on alpha fails with EOVERFLOW with NFS

From: matoro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 19:55:41 -0400

Hi, when running the command "stat -f -c '%T' ." on an alpha while being 
on an NFS filesystem, the command fails with EOVERFLOW.

$ stat -f -c "%T" .
stat: cannot read file system information for '.': Value too large for 
defined data type

The command does NOT fail when targeting any other filesystem type.

$ stat -f -c "%T" /
ext2/ext3

I am aware that EOVERFLOW is typically associated with 32-bit systems 
failing to hold 64-bit inodes and such.  However, alpha is a pure 64-bit 
system; there does not even exist a 32-bit version.

This is the only platform on which I have observed this behavior.  I 
also checked on all other platforms, including x86, arm, ppc, riscv, 
mips, sparc, hppa, and ia64.  No other platform exhibited this error.

I am using kernel 6.3, glibc 2.37, and coreutils 9.3.  If anybody would 
mind taking a look at this bug, I can provide direct shell access to the 
machine in question, with strace etc installed.  Thank you!