Subject: bug#64123: closed (Re: bug#64123: "stat -f -c '%T' ." on alpha fails with EOVERFLOW with NFS)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 06:30:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64123: "stat -f -c '%T' ." on alpha fails with EOVERFLOW with NFS

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64123: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64123
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64123: "stat -f -c '%T' ." on alpha fails with EOVERFLOW with NFS
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: matoro <[email-masked]>
Cc: Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:29:06 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 2023-06-17 12:53, matoro via GNU coreutils Bug Reports wrote:
> Compiling with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 fixes the problem.

Thanks for checking. I installed the following fix to coreutils:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/commit/?id=5ac7f2d281ef70500fc70211dc1f146c8666e8c1

This incorporates the following Gnulib fix:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=f4919b224dd1545190f35eb481f78694f2337cb1

which is derived from the following Autoconf fix:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=103514e40da5f20aebf83a3446452ccebe5172bb

which should cause 'configure' to #define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS to 64 on 
GNU/Linux s390x and alpha.

Closing the coreutils bug report.

Subject: "stat -f -c '%T' ." on alpha fails with EOVERFLOW with NFS
From: matoro <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 19:55:41 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, when running the command "stat -f -c '%T' ." on an alpha while being 
on an NFS filesystem, the command fails with EOVERFLOW.

$ stat -f -c "%T" .
stat: cannot read file system information for '.': Value too large for 
defined data type

The command does NOT fail when targeting any other filesystem type.

$ stat -f -c "%T" /
ext2/ext3

I am aware that EOVERFLOW is typically associated with 32-bit systems 
failing to hold 64-bit inodes and such.  However, alpha is a pure 64-bit 
system; there does not even exist a 32-bit version.

This is the only platform on which I have observed this behavior.  I 
also checked on all other platforms, including x86, arm, ppc, riscv, 
mips, sparc, hppa, and ia64.  No other platform exhibited this error.

I am using kernel 6.3, glibc 2.37, and coreutils 9.3.  If anybody would 
mind taking a look at this bug, I can provide direct shell access to the 
machine in question, with strace etc installed.  Thank you!