Subject: Re: bug#64123: "stat -f -c '%T' ." on alpha fails with EOVERFLOW with NFS

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 12:23:50 -0700

On 2023-06-17 10:30, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> I see that s390 and alpha are the only 64 bit architectures
> that have a 32-bit ino_t for example, which may cause issues within glibc?

Weird.

What happens if you compile with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64? Does this cause 
alpha to have a 64-bit ino_t? (How does that work, exactly?) If so, then 
AC_SYS_LARGEFILE should check for this and should arrange for "#define 
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64".

Matoro, what happens if you compile the following C program?

#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int
main (void)
{
   int n = sizeof (ino_t);
   printf ("%d\n", n);
}

Compile and run it like this:

gcc ino.c
./a.out
gcc -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 ino.c
./a.out

If the former prints "4" and the latter "8" then we can fix Autoconf and 
Gnulib AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to do the right thing.

Also, as Pádraig suggests, the output of the following shell command 
would be useful:

strace stat -f -c '%T' .

Also please see 
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1899582>. Although 
it's about s390x I expect there are similar issues on alpha, which may 
not be fixed and if so it's not a coreutils issue per se.