Subject: bug#64117: 28.2; "gnus-request-set-mark: Buffer is read-only" when exiting agentized, unplugged summary buffer

From: Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:52:53 +0800

>>>>> "JS" == Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]> writes:

    JS> Hi Andrew, you already have helped me out with a Gnus problem -
    JS> probably could you have a look at this one as well?  Looks
    JS> simple enough, only I wonder why nobody has complained earlier
    JS> ...

I don't think many people are using the features that hit this code path
(I don't use the agent, for example). But the problem and your fix seems
pretty obvious.  This is Eric's code, so I am copying him to confirm.
Since he might be busy, if he doesn't respond in a few days I think I'll
go ahead and push this fix to master.

Eli, this error was introduced almost 4 years ago but probably counts as
a regression. Should we consider also fixing on 29? (Adding the use of a
temp buffer is pretty unlikely to cause any problems).

    JS> BTW, is there a more appropriate ML to report Gnus issues than
    JS> the generic Emacs one?  And how about development questions
    JS> related to Gnus?  info-gnus-english looks so abandoned ... I
    JS> hope Gnus isn't.

Gnus certainly isn't dead, although there aren't many of us working on
new features. The lists that still see (light) traffic are
emacs.gnus.general and emacs.gnus.user (which I use through gmane), and
you can certainly post there. 

Best,
Andy

-- 
Andrew Cohen