Subject: bug#6411: Ispell string or comment, bug#6411: Ispell string or comment

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 21:56:51 +0200

On Thu, 09 Apr 2020 22:01:58 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> > When a long "M-x SOMETHING" command is close to a line's end, please
>> > enclose it in @w{..}, so that it doesn't get split between two lines.
>> 
>> By "close to a line's end" I assume you mean to check the rendered info
>> file, as IIUC there is no strict correspondence between the texi source
>> and the final document WRT end of line?
>
> The correspondence is quite close, even though not 100%, and there's
> the Info output, where it's even closer.  So you could just use
> @w{@kbd{..}} when it's close in Texinfo, because @w{..} is harmless if
> it isn't needed.

But the intent is not to have "M-x" on one line and "some-command" on
the next in the rendered output, right? Because that's exactly what
happens e.g. in (info "(emacs) Spelling") with "M-x ispell-message" ("To
check spelling in an email message you are writing, use ‘M-x
ispell-message’"), even though in fixit.texi "M-x ispell-message" is
nowhere near end of line, so it still seems to me that "close to a
line's end in Texinfo" as a rule isn't all that helpful. I guess one
had better always check the Info output, or just use @w{} for M-x
commands always, unless clearly unnecessary (e.g. a sole line).

-- 
Štěpán