Subject: Re: bug#6411: Ispell string or comment, bug#6411: Ispell string or comment

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 16:48:30 +0200

On Thu, 09 Apr 2020 09:21:34 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I also wonder whether it's time to document
> ispell-comments-and-strings in the user manual.  Any opinions?

I considered it, but from a skim through (info "(emacs) Spelling") it
seemed that some other commands were missing, too, and the new commands
should be easily discoverable anyway.

But on second look I see that the only one really missing is
`ispell-buffer-with-debug', which probably shouldn't be documented, and
`ispell-continue', which _is_ actually documented in the UI explanation,
only not by its name (as it is normally invoked as C-u M-$).

So I now think it would be better to mention the comment/string
commands, too, perhaps as follows:

>From 5b1abf142d090d35d1b62ce45b1716c47fc0c667 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?=C5=A0t=C4=9Bp=C3=A1n=20N=C4=9Bmec?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 16:17:57 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Document ispell comment/string checking commands in the user
 manual

* doc/emacs/fixit.texi (Spelling): Mention
ispell-comments-and-strings and ispell-comment-or-string-at-point.
---
 doc/emacs/fixit.texi | 11 ++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/emacs/fixit.texi b/doc/emacs/fixit.texi
index 2c268f14fb..c6a14c99c0 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/fixit.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/fixit.texi
@@ -277,6 +277,10 @@ Spelling
 @item M-x ispell-message
 Check and correct spelling in a draft mail message, excluding cited
 material.
+@item M-x ispell-comments-and-strings
+Check and correct spelling of comments and strings in the buffer or region.
+@item M-x ispell-comment-or-string-at-point
+Check the comment or string at point.
 @item M-x ispell-change-dictionary @key{RET} @var{dict} @key{RET}
 Restart the spell-checker process, using @var{dict} as the dictionary.
 @item M-x ispell-kill-ispell
@@ -304,6 +308,8 @@ Spelling
 @findex ispell
 @findex ispell-buffer
 @findex ispell-region
+@findex ispell-comments-and-strings
+@findex ispell-comment-or-string-at-point
 @cindex spell-checking the active region
   Similarly, the command @kbd{M-x ispell} performs spell-checking in
 the region if one is active, or in the entire buffer otherwise.  The
@@ -312,7 +318,10 @@ Spelling
 respectively.  To check spelling in an email message you are writing,
 use @kbd{M-x ispell-message}; that command checks the whole buffer,
 except for material that is indented or appears to be cited from other
-messages.  @xref{Sending Mail}.
+messages.  @xref{Sending Mail}.  When dealing with source code, you
+can use @kbd{M-x ispell-comments-and-strings} or @kbd{M-x
+ispell-comment-or-string-at-point} to check only comments or string
+literals.
 
   When one of these commands encounters what appears to be an
 incorrect word, it asks you what to do.  It usually displays a list of
-- 
2.26.0