Subject: Re: bug#64101: 29.0.91; Eglot inlay hints rendered out of order

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:26:48 +0100

On Sat, Jun 17, 2023 at 2:17 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I would find this "undefined order" strange, and perhaps a bug in
> > itself.  Maybe whoever rewrote the overlay code (Stefan?) could chime
> > in.
>
> It wasn't Stefan, he just merged the branch to master and fixed bugs.
>
> But why do you say this is a bug?

I didn't: I suggested it _might_ be and asked for an expert opinion
to weigh in.  It's quite different.

> Does any documentation promise any particular order of overlays?

No, not that I know of, but it's just the behaviour I've always observed.
This seemingly MacOS-specific undefinition is the first time I hear of this
behaviour.

IMO, unexpected behaviour doesn't have to go against actual documented
behaviour to be considered a bug.  However if you know that this
indefinition exists and you want it to enshrine it (say, for some performance
reason) then I believe this should be documented.

> > In any case, one defensive option is to push the patch I showed to Emacs
> > 29.  Subject, of course, to testing on at least some machine where the
> > problem does indeed happen.
>
> Yes, let's wait for the confirmation that it fixes the problem.

I think it has already been tested successfully.

João