Subject: Re: bug#64101: 29.0.91; Eglot inlay hints rendered out of order

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 13:19:18 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Krzysztof Klimonda <[email-masked]>,
>>   [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:39:32 +0100
>> 
>> Anyway, I tried to reproduce the problem on both Emacs 29
>> and 30 and couldn't.
>> 
>> The problem also doesn't happen on Emacs 28.  So I don't know what is up
>> and the "recent overlay rewrite" (when?) doesn't seem to have an effect.
>> I don't have a Mac OS machine to test.
>
> Emacs 29 comes with a completely different implementation of overlays
> than previous versions.
>
> I don't think this is specific to macOS, but perhaps the order in
> which overlays are arranged is arbitrary to some extent, in which case
> different systems can have different orders.

I would find this "undefined order" strange, and perhaps a bug in
itself.  Maybe whoever rewrote the overlay code (Stefan?) could chime
in.

In any case, one defensive option is to push the patch I showed to Emacs
29.  Subject, of course, to testing on at least some machine where the
problem does indeed happen.

João