Subject: bug#64089: 30.0.50; `ldap-search' errors out with `wrong-type-argument listp' when called WITHDN == t

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:23:37 +0300

Hi Jens,

On 19/06/2023 23:37 +0200, Jens Schmidt wrote:

> Hi Filipp,
>
> On 2023-06-19  22:35, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>
>> I mean not the dn value (distinct for each record), but the string "dn"
>> itself.
>
> misunderstood you here.  I agree that the prefix "dn: " is not very
> meaningful but somebody might have coded around that already.
>

Yes, they might.  But at least we're not changing the structure, and not
doing it on release branch.  Of course we could prepend "dn: " back if
needed.  I'll document the structure now, as Eli suggested.

>>> I don't think we should piggy-back too many problems on one report
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean here..
>
> Just that there are lot of issues that we're discussing here, where
> there was initially only one.

It's not uncommon when you touch a piece of code, and the fix brings
other changes.

>> I'm on macOS, OpenLDAP 2.6.4_1 from macports.  However, this string is
>> appended by Emacs itself.
>
> But that sounds like a bug that should better be fixed elsewhere, I
> think.  Emacs shouldn't append text to process output unless
> explicitly having been asked for that.

This is not a bug, it's default process sentinel, see "(elisp)
Sentinels".  We could eliminate that output, but again, not on release
branch.

Filipp