Subject: Re: bug#64089: 30.0.50; `ldap-search' errors out with `wrong-type-argument listp' when called WITHDN == t

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:35:08 +0300

Hi Jens,

On 19/06/2023 22:15 +0200, Jens Schmidt wrote:

> On 2023-06-19  21:27, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>
>> 3) Including dn as attribute, with name, is redundand - the client
>>    requesting withdn=t already knows the name "dn".
>
> Not true if your query returns more than one record.

I mean not the dn value (distinct for each record), but the string "dn"
itself.  The client already knows that "dn" attribute (that is, a kind
of id) will be prepended to a record, so naming it explicitly, and
including into the attributes list, is not that useful (and least it's
not what the original code meant).

>> Honestly, I don't get why we need to evaluate this breakage separately,
>> while the others are not allowed, at least without good reason...
>
> I don't think we should piggy-back too many problems on one report ...

I don't understand what you mean here..

>> Btw, the patch on emacs-29 also doesn't work (at least for me) because
>> in the end of the output, there's an additional line "Process ldapsearch
>> finished", which gets parsed as dn (as start of new ldap record).
>
> ... in particular this is a completely new one and does not have to do
> anything with my issue.  On what platform are you testing?

I'm on macOS, OpenLDAP 2.6.4_1 from macports.  However, this string is
appended by Emacs itself.

> To summarize: My latest patch for emacs-29 on a different branch of
> this thread fixes my issue while keeping results for the working cases
> unchanged - that is what you have been asking for, no?

I still stand by opinion that we should not touch emacs-29 here, due to
reasons I described in other messages.

Thanks.