Subject: bug#64088: [PATCH] Make project-root for vc projects return an absolute path

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:45:25 -0400

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 27/06/2023 23:01, Spencer Baugh wrote:
>> OK, how about this?
>
> Maybe we should go in the other direction? And call
> abbreviate-file-name on them?
>
> Because otherwise in project-prompt-project-dir we'll always show the
> expanded directory names, taking up extra space and usually repeating
> the full name of the user's home directory for no good reason.

That seems reasonable if we let-bind directory-abbrev-alist to nil
around it; otherwise we'll be dependent on the user's configuration and
we might add a directory in one way, and then they add a new value to
directory-abbrev-alist and we add it again a second way.

Although maybe that's fine?  And probably users of
directory-abbrev-alist would like to have those abbreviations show up in
project-prompt-project-dir.

Also we could always call abbreviate-file-name at
project-prompt-project-dir time.