Subject: bug#64088: [PATCH] Make project-root for vc projects return an absolute path

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:25:36 +0300

> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 05:43:58 +0300
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 16/06/2023 08:52, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> One concrete bug
> >> caused by this is that (project-forget-project "~/some/path") would
> >> work but (project-forget-project "/home/user/some/path") would not.
> > That problem is simple to solve where it happens, no?  That is,
> > project-forget-project should try looking not just for the literal
> > root, but also for its expanded and abbreviated forms, and that's all.
> 
> Alternatively, we could force-convert it to one or the other form when 
> saving a new value to the list. Then we'd only need to convert a 
> searches value to one of the forms.

How do we know such conversion will not cause other similar problems?

IME, low-level functions should not make any assumptions about what
higher-level code will need.  On the contrary, it's higher-level code
which knows what it needs that should do the conversions it needs.